NATIONAL HEALTH INSURANCE SCHEME
Your access to healthcare....
NHIA-Korea collaborate on common areas of research
A three-day consultative dialogue between the National Health Insurance Authority (NHIA) and the Korea Foundation for International Healthcare (KOFIH) has ended in Accra with a commitment by the two sides to collaborate more effectively on areas of mutual interest...
Aburaman SHS wins NHIS@10 National “What Do You Know” Competition
Aburaman SHS from the Central region emerged winners of the NHIS@10 national “What Do You Know” Competition. The school which beat many others from the regional and zonal levels to reach the final demonstrated their command and understanding of NHIS related issues.
NHIS Conference ends on a high
The NHIS 10th anniversary commemorative 2-day International Conference ended with a call on government and health policy makers in Ghana to consider expanding the coverage of the Scheme.
NHIS is 10 years old
On September 05, 2003, exactly ten years ago, following a series of pilots in selected districts, the National Health Insurance Scheme was born.
NHIS gets International Award
Ghana’s NHIS has once again been decorated as one of the most important social safety nets across Africa. The Scheme was named the “Most Efficient Health Insurance Scheme in West Africa” by the Security Watch Africa (SWA), an international organization which prioritizes issues of security across the continent, including food, health, water and sanitation.
Become a member
Membership of the scheme includes people in the informal sector, SSNIT Contributors, SSNIT Pensioners, the Aged (70+), Children under 18 years of age and the Indigent.
- Antenatal Care
- Deliveries;namely,normal and assisted
- Caesarian Section
- Postnatal care
- Pain Relief which includes incision and drainage,tooth extraction and temporary relief
- Diagnostic tests
- Dental Restoration which includes, Simple Amalgam
- Fillings and Temporary Dressing
- General and Specialist in-Patient care
- Requested investigations including laboratory investigations,X-Rays and Ultrasound scanning for in-patient care
- Medicatiion; namely, prescription drugs on National Health Insurance Drugs List, traditional medicines approved by the Food and Drugs Board and prescribed by accredited medical and traditional medicine practitioners,blood and blood products
- Cervical and Breast Cancer Treatment
- Surgical Operations
- In patient physiotherapy
- Accommodation in the general ward
- Feeding (where available) in patient physiotherapy
- Consultation including reviews.These include both general and specialist consultations
- Requested investigations including laboratory investigation,x-rays and ultrasound scanning for general and specialist out-patient services
- Medication,namely,prescription drugs on National Health Insurance Medicines List, traditional medicines approved by the Food and Drugs Board and prescribed by accredited medical and traditional practitioners
- HIV/AIDS symptomatic treatment for opportunistic infection
- Out-patient/Day Surgery Operations including hernia repairs,incision and drainage,haemorrhoidectomy
- Out-patient Physiotherapy
- Visual Fields
- Cataract Removal
- In patient physiotherapy
- Eye lid Surgery
- All emergencies shall be covered.These refer to crisis health situation that demand urgent intervention and include.
- Medical emergencies
- Surgical emergencies including brain surgery due to accidents
- Paediatric emergencies
- Obstetric and Gynaecological emergencies including caesarian sections
- Road Traffic Accidents
- Industrial and workplace accidents
- Dialysis for acute renal failure