The National Health Insurance Authority is made up of various Divisions. These are:
Research and Development Division
Administration/Legal & Human Resuorce Division
Information and Communication Technology (ICT) Division
Strategy and Corporate Affairs Divison
Internal Audit Division
Procurement and Projects Division
Clinical Audit Division
In addition to the above the Authority has 10 Regional Offices which are an extension of the Operations Division.
- Periodic audit of National Health Insurance Fund.
- Operational audit of the activities of the NHIA and the Schemes
- Provision of consulting services to NHIA
- Liaison with external bodies on audit issues, such as external auditors of Secretariat and Schemes
- Maintenance of an audit recommendations follow-up system.
- Special investigations into particular areas, for example fraud.
The office of the internal auditor exists to assure the integrity of the NHIA activities.
- Supervise, co-ordinate and monitor the activities of health insurance schemes.
- Provide support to service providers to render quality services at all times.
- Enforce utilization and cost control measures at the scheme level.
- Collaborate with relevant stakeholders to achieve the co-operate objectives of the council.
- Facilitate the scaling up of membership registration.
RESEARCH & DEVELOPMENT
- Lead the review of tariff structure.
- Lead the review of National Health Insurance drug formulary.
- Conduct research in areas that enhance the implementation of NHIS policy e.g. defining quality health care, determining socio-economic status accurately, sustainability of Health Insurance cost-containment mechanisms.
- Coordinate research being done across the country especially in the area of health finance and act as the first port of call for all such research.
- Collaborate with development partners and coordinate their efforts in accordance with the SWAP approach.
- Preparation and Management of NHIA Budget
- Keep and maintain proper financial records of NHIA
- Receiving money and disburses for NHIA
- Provides secure custody for money to be paid into NHIA
- Prepare financial policies of NHIA
- Opening of Bank Accounts for NHIA
- Prepare Financial Reports / Financial Statement
ii.Income Surplus Account
iv.Cash flow Statement
- Prepare Bank Reconciliation Statements
- Deals with correspondence on financial matters (Internal / External)
- Prepare mid – year and Annual Financial reports of all the Schemes
- Provide the Financial Advice to the Chief Executive(NHIA)
- Payroll management
- Prepare income tax Returns
- Prepare returns on Employee / Employer SSNIT Contribution
- Fixed Assets Management
- Undertake proper Inventory Control.
INFORMATION & COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGY
- Providing ICT support to all users
- Maintenance and update of schemes data
- Providing ICT training for all officers nation-wide
- Supply and maintenance of ICT equipment
- Implementation of ICT related projects
STRATEGY AND CORPORATE AFFAIRS
The Division reports directly to the Chief Executive of the Authority. It is responsible for:
- Educating all residents of Ghana and Ghanaians abroad on the NHIS to secure their understanding and acceptance.
- Ensuring the best of relations between the Authority, Schemes and the Media.
- Ensuring the best of relations between the Authority, Schemes and other institutions such as Service Providers, Members of the Schemes and the general public.
- Planning and executing effective Marketing and Publicity programmes to build the Corporate image of the NHIS into an acceptable brand.
- Receiving feedback from the public and responding to suggestions and complaints from members of the public on the operations of the schemes and service providers.
- Organizing public functions of the Authority and arranging for officials of the Authority and the Schemes to attend such functions.
- Securing protocol and other needs of Authority staff such as passports, visas and making travel arrangements.
- Procuring and disseminating information, education and communication materials such as diaries, calendars and magazines.